Auto/Car Accident FAQ

Trucking Accidents Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Commercial trucks perform a vital service, transporting the goods we use every day, but anyone who shares the roads with these vehicles should understand the challenges and potential consequences of becoming involved in a truck accident. Shepherd and Associates are pleased to provide answers to some of the questions we commonly receive.

Answers to common questions about trucking accidents

Do I need additional information if I become involved in a trucking accident?

In addition to assembling the information and evidence described on my What to Do After an Accident page, make note of the name and phone number of the trucking company as well as the truck number and license plate information, including the state where the truck is registered.

Can I receive the compensation I need through an insurance claim?

If you suffer severe injuries, you most likely need to pursue an out-of-court settlement or go to court. However, truck drivers typically carry more coverage than non-commercial drivers, so you can file an insurance claim in some cases. I advise my clients of the advantages and disadvantages of all the available legal options during the free initial consultation.

What makes truck accident claims different from auto insurance claims?

Of course, one major difference is the potential severity of injuries to passengers in smaller vehicles. And from a claim standpoint, victims must deal with the complexities of the trucking industry, the state and federal laws the companies must observe, and the challenges of obtaining the trucking records required to develop an effective legal case. Victims need the support of lawyers who have extensive experience handling these specialized cases.

What is the most important thing for me to do after a trucking accident?

Seek medical attention for anyone injured as the result of the accident. If you have severe injuries, you may need to leave the accident scene to get emergency care. Even if you can remain on the scene, see a doctor as soon as possible. Minor symptoms appearing now can be the first sign of a serious injury that may not heal properly without immediate medical attention.

How much time do I have to file a lawsuit?

The Tennessee statute of limitations requires victims to file personal injury lawsuits within one year of sustaining an injury. However, the state discovery rule recognizes that the existence or cause of injury may not be clear at the time of the accident and certain conditions — such as the minority or mental incapacity of a victim — can extend the time. I can help determine if you still have time to file a lawsuit.

Do I need a lawyer to file a claim?

It always makes sense to discuss your claim with an attorney before taking any action on your own, and legal advice is particularly important when dealing with complex truck accidents. I offer free consultations to assess your case, so it costs nothing to learn your options.

Contact an experienced Knoxville Truck accident attorney for a free consultation

The following answers can help you understand more about truck accident claims. But every accident is unique, so you need to seek advice from experienced Knoxville trucking accidents lawyers about your specific case. For more information, or to schedule a consultation with Shepherd and Associates, call 865-982-8060 or fill out the contact form on this website.


Shepherd & Associates is located in Maryville, TN and serves clients in and around Rockford, Walland, Alcoa, Louisville and Blount County.

Attorney Advertising. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.



1 + 5 =