Trucking Accidents FAQ

Tennessee Auto and Car Accident Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Anyone who drives on busy East Tennessee roads needs basic information about the handling of auto accidents. I am Kevin W. Shepherd, Attorney At Law and I am pleased to provide answers to some of the questions I commonly receive.

Can I collect damages if I bear some liability for an accident?

Even if you bear up to 49 percent of liability for an accident, the law permits you to pursue at least partial compensation from other liable parties.

What documents do I need to file an auto accident claim?

At a minimum, you need a copy of the police report as well as insurance and license information for all drivers involved in the accident. If serious injuries prevent you from remaining at the scene, you can typically obtain this information by contacting the police. For a list of other items that can help your claim, refer to my What to Do After an Accident page.

What compensation can I expect to receive for my claim?

You have the right to pursue all expenses related to your losses. Your compensation can include the costs of basic medical treatment and property damage for relatively minor accidents. They can also include a lifetime of expenses you expect to incur if you suffer permanent disability as a result of the accident.

Do I need to carry auto insurance?

Tennessee law requires you to prove financial responsibility. Most individuals carry at least minimum required insurance coverage, but you can also meet state requirements in other ways. Although not required by law, you should also consider carrying uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage to avoid potential issues if you become involved in an accident with someone who fails to meet state financial responsibility requirements.

If I sustain serious injuries, does my claim have to go to court?

An experienced attorney in Tennessee can usually negotiate a full and fair out-of-court settlement without taking a claim to court. However, some auto accident lawyers may recommend a trial when a jury provides the best chance to obtain a generous award for your case.

Do I need a lawyer to file a claim?

It costs nothing to discuss your case with me and learn the advantages and disadvantages of all the available legal options — from filing your own claim to obtaining legal assistance for an out-of-court settlement or a lawsuit. Even if filing your own insurance claim is appropriate, I can provide valuable advice to help you file it effectively.

Contact an experienced Knoxville auto accident attorney for a free consultation

The following answers can help you understand more about car accident claims, but every accident is unique, so you need to seek legal advice about your specific case. For more information, or to schedule a consultation with Shepherd and Associates call 865-982-8060 or fill out the contact form on this website.


Shepherd & Associates is located in Maryville, TN and serves clients in and around Rockford, Walland, Alcoa, Louisville and Blount County.

Attorney Advertising. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.



3 + 13 =